NAIA Division I Women?s Basketball Player of the Week ? No. 2 (Jan. 13)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the second-consecutive week, Ajha Edwards of Montana State-Northern has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Edwards is the first individual to win the award in consecutive weeks since Tugce Canitez of Westmont (Calif.) accomplished the feat in 2013 and was chosen based on her performances Jan. 5 – 11. She was selected out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
6-5, Fr., C, Sierra Vista, Ariz.
• Averaged 23.0 points and 17.5 rebounds in a pair of wins over Frontier Conference rivals Montana Tech (78-37) and then-No. 12 Lewis Clark State (Idaho) (63-61).
• Set the programs all-time single game field goal percentage record, converting 11-of-12 attempts (91.7 percent), while recording 27 points and 16 rebounds against Montana Tech.
• In the NAIA National Game of the Week against Lewis-Clark State, she scored 19 points and grabbed 19 boards en route to her 11th double-double of the season – second most in NAIA Division I women’s basketball.
• Ended the week 19-for-26 (73.1 percent) from the field.
• Leads the NAIA in defensive rebounds per game (9.2) and field goal percentage (61.1 percent), while also ranking among the top 10 in total rebounds per game (12.2), total rebounds (220) and total scoring (302).
• Earns her second National Player of the Week Award this season.
• Is the first individual to win back-to-back awards since Tugce Canitez of Westmont (Calif.) accomplished the feat in 2012-13.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Kyleesha Weston, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Kourtney Pennywell, LSU Shreveport (La.); Whitney Gathright, Xavier (La.); Lydia Cuff, Cumberlands (Ky.); Janis Peterson, Concordia (Calif.); Mia Wesley, Harris-Stowe State (Mo.); Ouleymatou Coulibaly, Oklahoma City; Kyoko Wade, Martin Methodist (Tenn.).
2014-15 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern