2018-19 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll — Oct. 23
KANSAS CITY, Mo. –Vanguard (Calif.) holds the No. 1 spot in the first edition of the 2018-19 NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll, the national office announced on Tuesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- Vanguard reached the quarterfinals at the national championship in 2018.
- The Lions returned starter Meghan Peneueta and All-American in Victoria Chea. The team lost four key
players,but will look to fill those holes with three transfers.
- New to the poll from the 2017-18 final poll: No. 14 The Master’s (Calif.), No. 18 Providence (Mont.), No. 21 Bethel (Tenn.), No. 22 Benedictine (Kan.)
- Oklahoma City holds the longest active streak in the Top 25 with 246 total appearances dating back to 1997-98 school year.
- Union (Tenn.) and Vanguard (Calif.) are the only programs to have spent an entire season ranked No. 1 (Union: 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11) (Vanguard: 2005-06, 2006-07).
- Union (Tenn.) leads all NAIA school with 53 No. 1 rankings. Oklahoma City is second with 50 and Vanguard (Calif.) is third with 45.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered
a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the team appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
Frequencyof polls occurbi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete
ratingscalendar, click here.
2018-19 NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll – Oct. 23
|RANK||TIME||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||7||Vanguard (Calif.) ||24-6||184|
|2||1||Shawnee State (Ohio) ||31-4||182|
|5||2||Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.) ||34-4||168|
|6||15||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||27-7||153|
|11||8||Central Methodist (Mo.)||28-8||132|
|12||12||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||27-7||124|
|13||11||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||26-8||111|
|14||RV||The Master's (Calif.)||19-11||110|
|15||16||Our Lady of the Lake (Texas)||23-10||102|
|18||10||LSU Shreveport (La.)||31-2||77|
|24||17||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||23-9||53|
Others receiving votes: Dillard (La.) 42, Mid-America Christian 38, Science & Arts (Okla.) 30, William Penn (Iowa) 19, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 14, Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 5, Grand View (Iowa) 3