2015 Women?s Division II Basketball Coaches? Top 25 Poll - No. 3 (Jan. 5)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Saint Xavier (Ill.) is No. 1 for the second-straight edition of the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The fourth regular-season installment will be released on Jan. 12.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dated back to 1991):
• Saint Xavier (Ill.) (17-0) remains in the top spot after receiving 9-of-the-10 possible first-place votes. The Cougars received 250 total points.
• The final first-place vote went to No. 2 Morningside (Iowa) (14-1). The Mustangs finished eight points behind Saint Xavier with 242 points.
• No. 3 Marian (Ind.) (13-3) (225 points), No. 4 College of the Ozarks (Mo.) (13-2) (218 points) and No. 5 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) (13-1) (215 points) round out the top five.
• Nine of the 12 conferences/unaffiliated groups/Association of Independent Institutions are represented in the Top 25.
• The Great Plains Athletic Conference and Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference leads all leagues with five teams represented each.
• No. 23 Kansas Wesleyan (14-3), No. 24 Warner Pacific (Ore.) (10-2) and No. 25 Milligan (Tenn.) (13-3) are the newcomers in this week’s installment.
• Only two undefeated teams remain in the Top 25 – Saint Xavier and No. 12 Southern Oregon (13-0).
• Dakota Wesleyan highlighted the positive movement, as it jumped seven spots.
• Hastings (Neb.) (11-4) had the biggest fall, as it dropped 12 positions to No. 15.
• No. 8 Indian Wesleyan (14-2) has the most No. 1 rankings in NAIA history with 33. Morningside is second with 24.
• Morningside holds the active streak of being ranked in the Top 25 (117). College of the Ozarks’ streak of 110-straight is second.
• College of the Ozarks (2007-08), Morningside (2008-09) and Saint Francis (Ind.) (1999-00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015-16 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll (Jan. 5)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||17||0||250|
|4||5||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||13||2||218|
|5||12||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||13||1||215|
|7||T10||St. Francis (Ill.)||13||1||204|
|9||6||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||12||3||181|
|11||4||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||12||3||170|
|14||12||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||12||3||149|
|16||15||Purdue Calumet (Ind.)||12||3||123|
|21||19||Dickinson State (N.D.)||11||4||87|
|22||25||Lawrence Tech (MI)||10||1||74|
|24||NR||Warner Pacific (Ore.)||10||2||54|
Dropped from the Top 25: Northwestern (Iowa) (No. 22), Oregon Tech (No. 23) and Goshen (Ind.) (No. 24).
Others Receiving Votes: Indiana Northwest 37; Goshen (Ind.) 36; Southeastern (Fla.) 35; Oregon Tech 35; Friends (Kan.) 30; Asbury (Ky.) 18; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 12.
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Women’s Division II Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll No. 2 (Dec. 8)