2016 Women?s Division II Basketball Coaches? Top 25 Poll No. 8 ? (Feb. 9)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Saint Xavier (Ill.) continues its No. 1 position in the eighth edition of the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The ninth regular-season installment will be released Feb. 16.
Top 25 highlights (historical information dated back to 1991):
• Saint Xavier (Ill.) remains at the top of the Top 25 Coaches’ Poll receiving all 12 first-place votes and 312 total points. The Cougars extended its 12-0 home streak on Feb. 6 against Governors State (Ill.), 84-64. Saint Xavier holds the No. 1 ranking in blocks per game (6.6) and total blocks (172).
• In the NAIA Network Game of the Week, presented by Stretch Internet, No. 20 Dickinson State (N.D.) outlasted Mayville State (N.D.), 70-65.
• No. 11 Tabor (Kan.) moves up three spots this week. With a 20-6 record the Bluejays look to keep its 14-game win streak in tacked as they host Sterling (Kan.), Feb. 11.
• Oregon Tech, Bryan (Tenn.) and Friends (Kan.) all dropped out of the Top 25 Poll this week.
• No. 24 Mount Marty (S.D.) makes its way into the Top 25 this week. The Lancers have not seen Top 25 action since the postseason poll of the 2010-11 season. Mount Marty is 17-9 overall and look to continue its two-game win streak as they travel to Northwestern (Iowa), Feb. 10.
• Fourteen teams have 20-plus wins on the season. Saint Xavier has the most with 25.
• Saint Xavier and No. 6 Southern Oregon are the only two teams to have a lone loss on the season.
• The top five teams has been the same for the last three weeks.
• Thirteen teams have been ranked in every poll this season.
• Forty-three teams have been ranked through nine polls.
• The Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Great Plains Athletic Conference lead all leagues with six teams represented.
• No. 17 Indiana Wesleyan (14-2) has the most No. 1 rankings in NAIA history with 34. No. 2 Morningside (Iowa) is second with 27.
• Morningside holds the active streak of being ranked in the Top 25 (122). No. 4 College of the Ozarks (Mo.) streak of 115-straight is second.
• No. 4 College of the Ozarks (Mo.) (2007-08), Morningside (2008-09) and No. 5 Saint Francis (Ind.) (1999-00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2016 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll (Feb. 9)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st Place Votes)||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Xavier (Ill.) (12)||25||1||312|
|4||4||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||20||3||282|
|5||5||St. Francis (Ill.)||23||2||271|
|7||6||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||21||4||254|
|10||9||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||18||7||211|
|13||15||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||20||6||190|
|15||13||Purdue Calumet (Ind.)||20||6||175|
|16||16||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||19||6||168|
|18||19||Lawrence Tech (MI)||19||2||135|
|20||20||Dickinson State (N.D.)||19||5||124|
|24||NR||Mount Marty (S.D.)||17||9||77|
|25||24||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||17||7||74|
Dropped from the Top 25: Oregon Tech, Bryan (Tenn.), Friends (Kan.)
Receiving Votes: Oregon Tech 72,Bryan (Tenn.) 64, Friends (Kan.) 43, Eastern Oregon 16, Southeastern (Fla.) 15, Indiana East 9, Indiana Tech 8, Point (Ga.) 7, Oklahoma Wesleyan 4, Asbury (Ky.) 3