2016 Women?s Division II Basketball Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? (Feb. 23)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Morningside (Iowa) claims the No. 1 position in the tenth edition of the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The final regular-season installment will be released March 2. Official qualifiers and bracket for the Women’s Division II National Championship will be announced via live video selection show at 5 p.m. CST on March 2.
Top 25 highlights (historical information dated back to 1991):
• No. 1 Morningside (Iowa) takes control of the Top 25 Poll this week receiving 11-of-12 first place votes and a total of 312 points. The Mustangs are the Great Plains Athletic Conference regular-season champions and will be making its way to Sioux City, Iowa, for the national championship.
• Morningside has not been ranked No. 1 since the Jan. 19 poll.
• Grabbing the final first place vote is No. 2 Saint Xavier (Ill.) who lost the top spot after losing to then-No. 12 Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) in the NAIA Game of the Week, Feb. 20.
• In the NAIA Network Game of the Week, presented by Stretch Internet, Monica Hinderer and Mika Passini combined for 41 points to lead then-No. 12 Cardinal Stritch over then-No. 1 Saint Xavier, 83-72 in overtime.
• No. 6 Marian (Ind.) drops three spots in the poll after a 0-2 week with losses against Grace (Ind.), 64-59, and then-No. 18 Goshen (Ind.), 73-63.
• No. 23 Milligan (Tenn.) makes its way into the Top 25 this week with wins against No. 25 Bryan (Tenn.), 77-75, and Columbia (S.C.), 69-56.
• Morningside and Saint Xavier both lead the division with most games won with 28.
• Eleven teams either moved up one spot or dropped one spot in the poll.
• The Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Great Plains Athletic Conference lead the leagues with six teams represented each.
• No. 19 Indiana Wesleyan (22-6) has the most No. 1 rankings in NAIA history with 34. No. 1 Morningside is second with 27.
• Morningside holds the active streak of being ranked in the Top 25 (123). No. 3 College of the Ozarks (Mo.) streak of 116-straight is second.
• College of the Ozarks (2007-08), Morningside (2008-09) and Saint Francis (Ind.) (1999-00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2016 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll (Feb. 23)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||2||Morningside (Iowa) (11)||28||2||312|
|2||1||Saint Xavier (Ill.) (1)||28||2||301|
|3||4||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||25||3||293|
|4||5||St. Francis (Ill.)||27||3||282|
|7||7||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||24||5||250|
|10||14||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||23||7||219|
|11||12||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||24||6||214|
|12||10||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||21||8||189|
|14||19||Mount Marty (S.D.)||21||9||177|
|16||16||Purdue Calumet (Ind.)||22||7||153|
|18||17||Lawrence Tech (MI)||22||3||151|
|22||24||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||20||8||89|
|24||25||Dickinson State (N.D.)||21||7||83|
Dropped from the Top 25: Indiana Northwest
Receiving Votes: Indiana Northwest 70, Oregon Tech 48, Eastern Oregon 42, Friends (Kan.) 36, Southeastern (Fla.) 16, Indiana East 11, Indiana Tech 10, Asbury (Ky.) 6