The Bulldogs continue dominance to push to the quarterfinals
SIOUX CITY, Iowa – (Box Score) Concordia (Neb.) advances to the 2018 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Championship Tournament by defeating Taylor (Ind.) by 21 with a final score of 71-50. The Bulldogs stifling defense, along from an all-stat day from star Philly Lammers helped to push the No. 1 seeded team into the quarterfinals.
- Second round play continued with Concordia and Taylor battling it out. The Bulldogs breezed past Stillman (Ala.) in the first round with a score of 75-52, while Taylor bested Northwest Christian (Ore.) in a fight to the last minutes of the game to win 61-54.
- Concordia shooting ignited in the first quarter, going 8-13 compared to Taylor’s 3-13. Seven different players for the Bulldogs shared a piece of the scoring in the first, but Kendall Bradbury led all scorers with seven. Despite going 2-7 from the line, the Bulldogs still finished the quarter with a 12-point lead, with a score of 21-9.
- But Taylor fought back to begin the second. A 9-0 run for the Trojans truncated the Bulldogs lead to just two with under five minutes left in the half. The Bulldogs were held scoreless until a layup with 3:40 to go ended their almost seven minute drought. That layup would be the start of a 9-0 of their own for the Bulldogs. The half ended with Concordia ahead by 10, 32-22.
- Concordia took their 10-point halftime lead and more than doubled it. The Bulldogs defensive efforts and strong offense helped increase their lead to 23 by the end of the third, leading 58-35. Quinn Wragge exploded for 13 in the third, tying the entire Taylor team for points in the third. This gave Wragge 20 on the game up to that point.
- The fourth was another defensive quarter, as neither team exceeded 15 points. Philly Lammers flirted with a triple-double by finishing just shy in points (8), rebounds (7), and steals (8), as wel as having one block and one assist.
- Concordia’s lockdown press and high efficiency scoring in the second half gave them the commanding win. The Liston Bracket closes up their second round with Concordia joining Jamestown (N.D.) as the two teams to advance to the quarterfinals. The two teams will meet, tomorrow at 3:00 P.M. for their quarterfinal showdown to decide who will represent the Liston Bracket in the semifinals.