The Broncos grab the reigns in the first quarter and ride off with the win
SIOUX CITY, Iowa – (Box Score) The Broncos of Hastings (Neb.) have stunned the Knights of Marian (Ind.) in the first game of the Cramer Bracket’s second round of the 2018 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball National Championship. The Broncos topped the back-to-back champions with a final of 62-45. A game high 14 points from Shandra Farmer helped propel Hastings to victory.
- Marian and Hastings battled it out in the second to last game of the second round. The back-to-back made it to the second round after a narrow win against No. 7 seed St. Thomas (Fla.) by a final of 70-66. Hastings battled and defeated Lawrence Tech (Mich.) with a final of 57-49.
- The first quarter is a story of Marian’s shooting woes. The Knights shot just under 19 percent and went 1-6 from beyond the arc. On the flip side, the Broncos shot 41 percent and it showed in the score at the end of the quarter. The Broncos jumped out to a six point lead, finishing the quarter up 15-9. The lead can be thanks to 12 of Hastings 15 points coming in the paint, as compared to Marian’s four.
- In the second, the continued shooting struggles held the Knights to just 10 points. Marian shot 25 percent for the first half overall. For Hastings, Shandra Farmer continues to shine as she drops 12 points in the first half, leading the game to that point. Hastings continued to own the paint, outscoring Marian 24-8 for the first half. Outscoring the Knights by four in the second quarter, the Broncos headed to halftime with a 10 point lead.
- Third quarter shooting was all Hastings as the Broncos dropped 8-14 from the field. Again held under 15 points for the quarter, Marian improved their shooting in the third. But like the previous quarters, the third ended with Hastings increasing their lead. By the time the buzzer sounded to close the third, the Broncos were leading by 14 with a score of 46-32.
- Hastings finished the game outshooting Marian by 20 percent
- Hastings ended Marian’s run for their third-consecutive title dead in its tracks. Marian, being held to their lowest point total of the season with 45, could not overcome the deficit that faced in the fourth quarter. Hastings will anxiously await the winner of the final game of the day, Saint Xavier (Ill.) and Morningside (Iowa) to face off in the last game of the quarterfinals that begins at 8:00 P.M. tomorrow night.