2019-20 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The 2019 DII Women’s Basketball National Champions, the Bulldogs of Concordia (Neb.) stay at the top for the 2019-20 season. The Bulldogs are No. 1 according to the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll.
Top 25 Highlights
- Concordia returns four starters from a team that went 35-3 a season ago, winning the first national title in program history. That includes three NAIA All-American forwards in Philly Lammers, tournament MVP, Grace Barry and leading scorer Taylor Cockerill.
- Southeastern (Fla.) the national runner-up, begin the season at No. 2. The Fire went 31-3 in 2018-2019. The top team from the Sun conference returns just one starter from the previous season center, Marlena Schmidt.
- Newcomers to the preseason poll, compared to the final regular-season poll of 2018-2019, are: No. 17 Saint Xavier (Ill.), No. 22 Michigan-Dearborn and No. 23 Mayville State (N.D.) and No. 24 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
- Morningside (Iowa) holds record for most No. 1 rankings of all-time with 39. Indiana Wesleyan – No. 20 in this poll – is second with 34.
- Morningside also holds the record for longest consecutively ranked active school with 179 straight polls. Saint Xavier (Ill.) is second on the list with 165, which includes its time in DI Women’s Basketball.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2019-20 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll (Oct. 23)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Concordia (Neb.) ||35-3||312|
|3||5||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||31-4||284|
|7||3||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||31-6||258|
|9||14||St. Francis (Ill.)||24-9||231|
|10||11||Antelope Valley (Calif.)||27-6||230|
|13||24||Saint Francis (Ind.)||20-13||192|
|17||RV||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||21-10||158|
|23||RV||Mayville State (N.D.)||19-8||68|
|24||RV||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||21-12||66|
|25||18||Indiana Northwest (Ind.)||27-8||62|
Receiving Votes: WVU Tech 50, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 47, Huntington (Ind.) 47, Indiana Wesleyan 38, Aquinas (Mich.) 33, Bellevue (Neb.) 31, Bethany (Kan.) 17, Southern Oregon 15, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) 9, Milligan (Tenn.) 7, St. Thomas (Fla.) 5, UC Merced (Calif.) 4