NAIA Women?s Soccer Players of the Week ? No. 3
By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Megan Johnson of Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) and Allison Keeney of Rio Grande (Ohio) were named NAIA Women’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Johnson and Keeney were selected for their play during the week of Sept. 15-21 and were chosen out of the conference and independent award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Megan Johnson, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)
Sr., F, Rapid City, S.D.
• Johnson set a Dakota Wesleyan record by tallying six goals in an 8-2 victory over NCCAA Grace (Neb.) on Sept. 17.
• Three days later in the school’s Great Plains Athletic Conference opener against Nebraska Wesleyan on Sept. 20, she scored both Tigers’ goals in a 2-0 shutout.
• With eight goals in her past two games, Johnson now has 15 goals in seven games this season – which leads the NAIA.
• This is her first NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Allison Keeney, Rio Grande (Ohio)
Sr., GK, Cincinnati, Ohio
• In 180 minutes of game action, Keeney was an unstoppable force for Rio Grande this week, leading her squad to a perfect 2-0 record. She made 27 stops in two matches, both 2-0 shutout wins over Carlow (Pa.) and Point Park (Pa.), respectively.
• Keeney has led the RedStorm’s defensive attack by posting four shutouts this year – including three in a row – helping the school achieve its first three-game winning streak in program history.
• So far in 2014, she has 53 saves while surrendering seven goals in seven contests (.980 goals against average).
• This is Keeney’s first NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Mary Lee, Missouri Baptist; Aline Dalmedico, Union (Ky.); Brittany Wisecarver, Menlo (Calif.); Janelle Richards, Northwest Christian (Ore.) ; Samantha Yasatan, Trinity International (Ill.); Jenna Culley, Marian (Ind.); Rylei North, Westminster (Utah); Madison Cody, Vanguard (Calif.); Krista Hooper, Baker (Kan.); Paulina Good, Cal State San Marcos; Haley Cain, Bethel (Kan.); Kasey Crow, Rio Grande (Ohio); Kaitlin Phillips, Cumberland (Tenn.); Tarra Hendricks, Central Baptist (Ark.); Lydia Storms, Clarke (Iowa); Amanda Ochoa, Presentation (S.D.); Alexandra Fernandez, St. Thomas (Texas); Jade Ovendale, Science & Arts (Okla.); Jenny Knibbs, Brenau (Ga.); Jamie Murray, Warner (Fla.); Katlyn Krysiak, Madonna (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Lindsay Taylor, Benedictine-Springfield (Ill.); Juliana Schardong, Union (Ky.); Roxy Barragan, UC Merced; Kristin Fulbright, Northwest Christian (Ore.); Kristiana Daniels, Taylor (Ind.); Abi Yanke, Westminster (Utah); Lauren Terry, Vanguard (Calif.); Megan Manley, Midland (Neb.); Mackenzie Little, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Kalee Cross, Tabor (Kan.); Lindsay Kitson, Cumberland (Tenn.); Courtney Smith, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Kelly Button, William Penn (Iowa); Natalie Martinez, Wiley (Texas); Emma Beck, Oklahoma Baptist; Jhani Williams, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Sara Hall, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Darcey James, Northwestern Ohio.
2014 NAIA Women’s Soccer Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 9)
Offensive: Caryn Welch, Avila (Mo.)
Defensive: Lexi Gochnauer, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Week 2 (Sept. 16)
Offensive: Inma Martinez, Missouri Valley
Defensive: Nicole Franklin, Concordia (Ore.)
Week 3 (Sept. 23)
Offensive: Megan Johnson, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)
Defensive: Allison Keeney, Rio Grande (Ohio)