2015 Women?s Soccer Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? No. 5 (Oct. 20)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) is the No. 1 team in the fifth-regular season edition of the NAIA Women’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The sixth regular-season poll will be released on Tuesday, Oct. 27. The second MRPI will be released on Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
• For the seventh-straight poll, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (9-1-2) is the No. 1 team in the NAIA Women’s Soccer Coaches’ Poll. The Blue Raiders received 11 first-place votes for a total of 489 points.
• No. 2 Northwestern Ohio (10-2-2) received six first-place votes and a total of 487 points. The final first-place vote went to No. 3 William Carey (Miss) (11-1-1). The Lady Crusaders received 468 total points.
• Northwestern Ohio extends its streak of being ranked in the top 10 to 13-straight polls, dating back to Oct. 7, 2014.
• Lindsey Wilson looks to become the first team to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• No. 25 St. Ambrose (Iowa) (8-3-2) is the lone newcomer in the Top 25. The Master’s (Calif.) (7-7-1), formerly No. 21, was the only top 25 team to drop out of the top 25.
• Westmont (Calif.) (9-2-2) moved up three spots from No. 8 to No. 5, highlighting the positive movement.
• Benedictine (Kan.) (13-1-1) had the biggest fall, as they dropped five positions from No. 3 to No. 8.
• Thirteen teams are ranked in the same spot as they were last week.
• Westmont cracked the top 5 for the first time since Nov. 16, 2014, when they were No. 4.
• Twelve of the 19 conferences are represented in the Top 25 – The Mid-South Conference, Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC), Golden State Athletic Conference, the Crossroads League and the Heart of America Athletic Conference lead all leagues with three teams represented each.
• The SSAC has three teams in the top 10 – William Carey, No. 4 Martin Methodist (Tenn.) (9-3-0) and No. 6 Mobile (Ala.) (12-1-0).
• Lindsey Wilson extends its NAIA record of most No. 1 rankings to 53. Former NAIA member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) is second with 33. The Blue Raiders also extend the longest active streak of consecutive appearances in the Top 25 to 165-consecutive mentions, including 135-straight in the top 10.
• After Lindsey Wilson’s loss, Campbellsville (Ky.) (15-0-0) is the only unbeaten team in this week’s installment
• For the complete ratings calendar, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of 19 head coaches representing each of the conferences, independents and unaffiliated groups.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the team appears on.
• Teams who receive only one point in the ballot will not be listed in the “Receiving Votes” category.
• The Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI) is a separate ranking conducted on Sept. 29, Oct. 20 and Nov. 16. The MRPI—first adopted in 2010—will select the at-large national championship qualifying teams and seed the 32-team national championship opening round field.
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015 NAIA Women’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll (Oct. 20)
|RANK||LAST ^||SCHOOL (1st PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (11)||9-1-2||489|
|2||2||Northwestern Ohio (6)||10-2-2||487|
|3||4||William Carey (Miss.) (1)||11-1-1||468|
|4||5||Martin Methodist (Tenn.)||9-3-0||441|
|7||7||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||13-2-1||404|
|13||14||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||11-3-1||297|
|16||13||Siena Heights (Mich.)||12-3-0||265|
|18||18||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio)||10-4-2||222|
|23||25||SCAD Savannah (Ga.)||11-3-2||139|
|25||RV||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||8-3-2||64|
Dropped from the Top 25: The Master’s (Calif.)
Others receiving votes: Ottawa (Kan.) 58; The Master’s (Calif.) 53; UC Merced 41; Oklahoma City 37; Marian (Ind.) 32; Cumberland (Tenn.) 29; Viterbo (Wis.) 25; Carroll (Mont.) 13; St. Thomas (Fla.) 10; Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 10; Columbia (Mo.) 9; Bellevue (Neb.) 9; Morningside (Iowa) 6; Hope International (Calif.) 5; MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 5; Kansas Wesleyan 5; Concordia (Mich.) 4; Robert Morris (Ill.) 3; Marymount (Calif.) 3.
^2015 Women’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 5 (Oct. 20)