2018 NAIA Women's Soccer National Championship Semifinal Round Preview
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – [Championship Schedule | Bracket] The semifinal round has been set in Orange Beach, Ala., after a day of intense soccer in the 2018 NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship, presented by The Wharf.
Spring Arbor (Mich.), William Carey (Miss.), Keiser (Fla.) and Southeastern (Fla.) will represent three conferences in the semifinal round, set to kick-off on Friday in Orange Beach, Ala.
Quarterfinal Results | November 28, 2018 | Orange Beach, Ala. (Orange Beach SportsPlex)
Game 25 – No. 4 Keiser (Fla.) def. Northwest (Wash.) 4-0
Game 26 – No. 1 Spring Arbor (Mich.) def. No. 8 Benedictine (Kan.) 2-1
Game 27 – No. 2 William Carey (Ala.) def. No. 10 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 1-0
Game 28 – No. 6 Southeastern (Fla.) def. Midland (Neb.) 3-1
Semifinal Schedule | November 30, 2018 | Orange Beach, Ala. (Orange Beach SportsPlex)
Game 29 – No. 1 Spring Arbor (Mich.) vs. No. 4 Keiser (Fla.) | 12:00 p.m. CST
Game 30 – No. 2 William Carey (Miss.) vs. No. 6 Southeastern (Fla.) | 3:00 p.m. CST
2018 NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship – Semifinal Notes
- Keiser became the first institution to earn its spot in the semifinal round in 2018 with a 4-0 win over Northwest (Wash.).
- Keiser (Formerly Northwood (Fla.)) is making its 13th appearance in the NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship and its third appearance in the semifinal round. A win would guarantee the Seahawks their first trip to the national title match.
- The Seahawks have yet to allow a goal in championship play in 2018. They are outscoring their opponents 11-0, including the opening round.
- Spring Arbor escaped the victor of one of the most hard-fought matches in the 2018 quarterfinal round with a 2-1 win over No. 8 Benedictine (Kan.). The contest was a rematch of the 2017 NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship.
- The Cougars are making their 10th appearance in the National Championship, and ninth-consecutive trip.
- 2018 will be the fifth appearance in the semifinal round for the Cougars, whom have won two of the last three NAIA National Titles.
- Bethany Balcer scored both goals for Spring Arbor against Benedictine to send her team to Friday’s match. Balcer was the 2017 NAIA National Player of the Year.
- After turning-in a dynamic performance, led by goalkeeper Abby Baravik and forward Jamie Holifield, the Lady Crusaders punched their ticket to the semifinal round with a thrilling 1-0 triumph over No. 10 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
- 2018 is the third consecutive trip for the Lady Crusaders to the NAIA National Championship. The team has made 10 appearances all-time into the full field.
- This will be the second consecutive, and second trip all-time for the Lady Crusaders in the semifinal round.
- Casey Gutting of Missouri Baptist was the last player to score on Abby Baravik. Gutting’s goal came in the 82nd minute of a 6-2 win for the Lady Crusaders in the opening round.
- Southeastern is making just its second appearance in the NAIA National Championship, and the first in the semifinal round. The Fire are 5-1 all-time heading into Friday in championship play, including opening round action.
- Uchenna Kanu set the all-time season scoring record in the first game of the final site with a two-goal performance. The junior leads the 2018 National Championship with seven goals, three of which came in her team’s 3-1 win over Midland (Neb.) to advance to the semifinal round.
- Friday’s match marks the first semifinal appearance for the Fire.
- The Sun Conference will feature two representatives in the semifinal round in Keiser and Southeastern. The Seahawks advanced past the Fire in their last meeting winning 4-3 in penalty kicks to decide The Sun Conference Tournament Championship.