2017 NAIA Women's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 1
By Trevor Lininger, Athletic Communication and Sports Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - British Columbia earns the top spot in the NAIA Women’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
- Defending National Champion British Columbia have held the No. 1 ranking for the past three polls
- The Thunderbirds of British Columbia earned a total of 19 first place votes
- Trinity Christian (Ill.) and St. Francis (Ill.) broke into the top 25 for the first time in 2017
- Simon Fraser (B.C.) holds the current record for most No. 1 rankings with a total of 40
- College of Idaho holds the longest streak of consecutive active Top 25 rankings with 68 in-a-row. The Coyotes have been ranked in each of the polls since 2009. Following College of Idaho is Carroll (Mont.) at 60-straight rankings, Northwest Christian (Ore.) at 55 and The Master’s (Calif.) at 51
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|4||4||College of Idaho||535|
|6||6||Shawnee State (Ohio)||493|
|7||6||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||461|
|8||9||The Master's (Calif.)||433|
|9||8||Northwest Christian (Ore.)||427|
|10||11||SCAD Atlanta (Ga.)||422|
|18||18||SCAD Savannah (Ga.)||242|
|20||20||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||222|
|23||NR||Trinity Christian (Ill.)||183|
|25||NR||St. Francis (Ill.)||135|
Others Receiving Votes: Siena Heights (Mich.) 112; Northwest (Wash.) 81; Saint Xavier (Ill.) 66; Spring Arbor (Mich.) 48; William Jessup (Calif.) 35; Mount Mercy (Iowa) 28; Texas Wesleyan 15; Cornerstone 15; Blue Mountain (Miss.) 14; Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Baker (Kan.) 7; Tennessee Wesleyan 7
Dropped From Top 25: Saint Xavier (Ill.); MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)