2018 NAIA Women's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll ? No. 1
By Lexi Naegele, Athletic Communications Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Wayland Baptist (Texas) adds their first regular-season No. 1 rank after a big season opener, the national office announced on Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
- The Pioneers opened their season placing second out of 12 in the Texas Tech Cross Country Open.
- Wayland Baptist Women’s Cross Country came in right behind Texas Tech in the Country Open.
- Simon Fraser (B.C.) holds the record for the most No. 1 rankings with 41 all time.
- College of Idaho holds the record for the longest consecutively-ranked active school, appearing in 76-straight polls, followed by Carroll (Mont.) with 66.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is represented by one rater.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018 Women's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 1
|RANK||LAST TIME||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Wayland Baptist ||582|
|2||2||Taylor (Ind.) ||576|
|4||3||Milligan (Tenn.) ||535|
|6||6||SCAD Atlanta (Ga.)||495|
|9||8||College of Idaho||435|
|13||14||St. Francis (Ill.)||362|
|14||18||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||328|
|16||17||Point Park (Pa.)||292|
|19||23||Saint Mary (Kan.)||230|
|20||25||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||211|
|22||24||Trinity Christian (Ill.)||196|
Others Receiving Votes: Northwest Christian (Ore.) 114, The Master’s (Calif.) 108, Northwestern (Iowa) 101, Friends (Kan.) 85, Hastings (Neb.) 51, St. Thomas (Fla.) 24, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) 24, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) 11, Shawnee State (Ohio) 6, Valley City State (N.D.) 5, Spring Arbor (Mich.) 3.