2015 NAIA Football Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? No. 3
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) made program history this week, as the Blue Raiders garner their first-ever No. 1 ranking in the third regular-season edition of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The fourth regular-season edition will be released on Oct. 5.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), which started football in 2010, is making its first-ever appearance at No. 1. The Blue Raiders garnered 12-of-15 first-place votes and 338 total points. Lindsey Wilson (3-0) returns to the field Saturday at Union (Ky.). Kick off is scheduled for 6 p.m. EDT.
• Prior to 2015, Lindsey Wilson had never been ranked higher than No. 6 (Nov. 6, 2014).
• No. 2 Southern Oregon, No. 3 Faulkner (Ala.) and No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) also claimed first-place votes.
• Morningside holds the longest active streak of top 10 rankings, having been listed among the top 10 teams for 52-straight polls dating back to Sept. 19, 2011.
• Three newcomers joined the Top 25 this edition: No. 23 Benedictine (Kan.), No. 24 St. Francis (Ill.) and No. 25 St. Ambrose (Iowa). The Ravens return to the Top 25 after a one-week hiatus, while St. Francis and St. Ambrose are ranked for the first time since the 2014 season.
• All 25 teams moved positions this week, highlighted by a poll-best five spot jumps by No. 14 Reinhardt (Ga.) and No. 20 Peru State (Neb.). No. 19 William Penn (Iowa), which dropped seven places from last edition, fell farther than any team still ranked in the Top 25.
• The Frontier Conference, Great Plains Athletic Conference, Heart of America Athletic Conference North and the Mid-States Football Association Midwest League lead all leagues with four programs represented each.
• The Central States Football League and the North Star Athletic Association are the conferences without representation in this week’s installment.
• Three teams have held the No. 1 ranking this season – Marian (Ind.), Morningside (Iowa) and Southern Oregon.
• Thirty-four different teams have been ranked in 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most top-billings with 58, followed by former member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (18) and Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14)
• With the 187-straight Top 25 streak of Saint Francis (Ind.) snapped in mid-October last year, Carroll owns the active lead with 184. Morningside (103) and Saint Xavier (93) own the next longest streaks.
• Missouri Valley, which fell out of the Top 25 this week, had its streak of 118-consecutive Top 25 mentions snapped.
• For more information on NAIA football, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||2||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (12)||3-0||338|
|2||T4||Southern Oregon (1)||3-1||310|
|3||T4||Faulkner (Ala.) (1)||3-0||308|
|4||1||Morningside (Iowa) (1)||3-1||306|
|7||9||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||4-1||250|
|9||11||Grand View (Iowa)||4-1||240|
|11||14||Saint Francis (Ind.)||4-0||211|
|12||7||Robert Morris (Ill.)||3-1||188|
|13||17||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||5-0||183|
|19||12||William Penn (Iowa)||3-2||95|
|20||25||Peru State (Neb.)||4-1||94|
|22||23||Webber International (Fla.)||2-2||50|
|24||NR||St. Francis (Ill.)||3-1||39|
|25||RV||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||3-0||18|
Dropped from the Top 25: Valley City State (N.D.) (No. 15); MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) (No. 18); Missouri Valley (No. 22)
Others Receiving Votes: Dickinson State (N.D.) 16; Valley City State (N.D.) 13; Rocky Mountain (Mont.) 4; MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 4; Langston (Okla.) 4.
^ Top 25 ranking from Sept. 28, 2015 Top 25 Poll