2015 NAIA Football Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? Postseason
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - For the third time this season, national champion Marian (Ind.) finds itself atop the postseason edition of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The 2016 spring ranking will be released on April 11, 2016.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
• Marian (Ind.) earns its 12th all-time No. 1 ranking with 12 first-place votes and 262 total points. The Knights won the 2015 NAIA Football National Championship by defeating Southern Oregon, 31-14, on Dec. 19.
• 2015 Runner-up Southern Oregon comes in at No. 2 after receiving 252 total points.
• No. 3 Morningside (Iowa) (240 points), No. 4 Saint Francis (Ind.) (233 points) and No. 5 Baker (Kan.) (221 points) round out the top 5.
• Morningside extends the NAIA record for top 10 mentions to 60-straight polls, dating back to Sept. 19, 2011.
• Marian and Southern Oregon both jumped up five spots, highlighting the positive movement.
• No. 14 Kansas Wesleyan fell four spots, marking the largest negative movement within the Top 25.
• There are no newcomers in this week’s edition.
• Four teams held the No. 1 ranking this season – Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) Marian, Morningside and Southern Oregon.
• The Mid-South Conference West Division leads all leagues with four teams represented – No. 10 Reinhardt (Ga.), No. 11 Campbellsville (Ky.), No. 13 Lindsey Wilson and No. 23 Faulkner (Ala.).
• All conferences are represented in the poll.
• The Frontier Conference, Great Plains Athletic Conference, Heart of America North and Mid-States Football Association Midwest League all have three teams represented in the Top 25.
• Forty-one different teams were ranked in 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA-member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (20) and Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 111-straight Top 25 mentions, followed by Saint Xavier with 99-consecutive.
• For more information of NAIA Football click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Postseason (Dec. 21)
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||6||Marian (Ind.) (12)||12-2||262|
|4||4||Saint Francis (Ind.)||11-1||233|
|6||3||Grand View (Iowa)||11-2||209|
|12||16||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||7-3||153|
|13||13||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||8-3||152|
|15||14||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||9-2||121|
|18||T18||Dickinson State (N.D.)||8-3||91|
|19||T18||St. Francis (Ill.)||8-3||89|
|20||20||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||8-2||80|
|24||T23||William Penn (Iowa)||7-4||35|
Dropped from the Top 25: None
Others receiving votes: Sterling (Kan.) 4; Cumberlands (Ky.) 3; Robert Morris (Ill.) 3.