NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll ? No. 1
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – After being selected as the preseason No. 1, Marian (Ind.) has earned 15 first-place votes in the first regular-season Top 25 Coaches’ Poll to continue their time with the top ranking. With 340 total points, the Knights are once again the No. 1 team in the country, the national office announced Monday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• The defending national champions maintain control of the No. 1 ranking in Poll No. 1, as the Knights earned 15 first-place votes and 340 total points this week. They were the only team to receive any votes for first-place.
• This is the fourth-straight poll the Knights have been ranked No. 1 and 25th-straight poll they have been ranked in the Top 25. Their last time unranked came in the preseason poll for the 2014 season.
• Marian looks to repeat as national champions following last year's win over Southern Oregon, 31-14. This was the program's second national championship as its first was in 2012 in a 30-27 win over Morningside (Iowa) in overtime.
• Morningside made a one spot jump to No. 2 this week, as well as No. 3 Saint Francis (Ind.) and No. 4 Baker (Kan.). Rounding out the top five is No. 5 Doane (Neb.)
• 2015's national runner-up, Southern Oregon, fell back 10 spots to No. 12 after going 0-2 to start the season. This is the first time the Raiders have dropped out of the top 10 since Sept. 11, 2014.
• Two teams made significant jumps in the poll from their previous preseason rating. No. 5 Reinhardt (Ga.) moved up six places, and No. 7 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) climbed five spots from their preseason place. No. 10 Kansas Wesleyan is up three places and No. 14 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) improved two spots as well.
• No. 12 Southern Oregon highlights the negative movement as they dropped 10 spots from No. 2, as well as No. 17 Tabor (Kan.) falling back nine. Making a six spot slide is No. 13 Montana Tech, and No. 24 Faulkner (Ala.) dropped five spots.
• Five new teams have made an appearance this week after not being ranked in preseason. No. 10 Eastern Oregon made the biggest jump for unranked teams, followed by No. 16 Missouri Valley, No. 18 MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.), No. 20 Concordia (Neb.) and No. 25 Rocky Mountain (Mont.).
• Overall, nine of the 15 football conferences are represented this week in the poll. Led by the Frontier Conference with six teams – No. 10 Eastern Oregon, No. 12 Southern Oregon, No. 13 Montana Tech, No. 21 Carroll (Mont.), No. 22 Montana Western and No. 25 Rocky Mountain (Mont.). The Great Plains Athletic Conference and Mid-South Conference both had four teams.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (25), Morningside (20) and Saint Xavier (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 115-straight Top 25 mentions, followed by Saint Xavier with 104-consecutive.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2016 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Marian (Ind.) (15)||2-0||340|
|3||4||Saint Francis (Ind.)||3-0||314|
|7||12||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||3-0||254|
|8||6||Grand View (Iowa)||2-1||245|
|9||10||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||2-1||220|
|14||16||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||3-1||139|
|18||NR||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||3-0||102|
|22||21||Dickinson State (N.D.)||2-1||61|
|25||NR||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||2-1||38|
Dropped from Top 25: St. Francis (Ill.); Arizona Christian; William Penn (Iowa); St. Ambrose (Iowa); Campbellsville (Ky.).
Others Receiving Votes: Peru State (Neb.) 37; Southeastern (Fla.) 33; St. Francis (Ill.) 16; Sterling (Kan.) 14; Langston (Okla.) 10; Arizona Christian 6; Dakota State (S.D.) 4.
^ Top 25 ranking from 2016 Preseason Poll