2018 NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll — Poll Three (Sept. 24)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Saint Francis (Ind.) retained the top spot in the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 poll after beating then-No. 20 Saint Xavier (Ill.) on Saturday, Sept. 22. While the top five remained the same, Evangel (Mo.) and Cumberlands (Ky.) grabbed their NAIA-leading fifth victories of the season.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- Saint Francis put together another gritty effort in a 27-19 win over then-No. 20 Saint Xavier on Saturday. The Cougars are outscoring opponents 178-61.
- Defense has been a key to the formula for the Cougars in 2018 and central to that has been getting to the quarterback. Saint Francis is ranked No. 1 with 21 sacks in four games.
- Webber International (Fla.) and Siena Heights (Mich.) jumped into the Top 25 this week after posting wins over the weekend. Four of the six teams in the Mid-States Football Association Mideast Division are represented this week.
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (25) and Marian (22). Morningside (Iowa) and Saint Francis (Ind.) are tied at 20.
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 142-straight Top 25 mentions.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
Don’t miss a minute of any NAIA Championship this season. Buy your All-Championship Pass today.
2018 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll Three (Sept. 24)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL||RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Francis (Ind.) ||4-0||366|
|4||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||3-0||323|
|10||11||Grand View (Iowa)||2-1||237|
|18||19||Dickinson State (N.D.)||3-1||131|
|22||NR||Webber International (Fla.)||4-0||62|
|23||23||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||3-2||47|
|25||NR||Siena Heights (Mich.)||4-0||30|
Dropped from the Top 25: Southeastern (Fla.), Saint Xavier (Ill.)
Others Receiving Votes: Avila (Mo.) 25, Southeastern (Fla.) 20, Midland (Neb.) 17, Eastern Oregon 7, Doane (Neb.) 5, Saint Xavier (Ill.) 4, Tabor (Kan.) 3