2018 NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll ? Poll Four (Oct. 1)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Five upsets created dynamic shifts in the NAIA Coaches’ Top 25 as Morningside (Iowa) found itself in the top spot for the week. The 5-0 Mustangs earned their first No. 1-ranking in 2018 as former No. 1 Saint Francis (Ind.) fell in the NAIA Game of the Week to then-No. 6 Marian (Ind.) on Sept. 29.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- Morningside’s dominance continued against Hastings (Neb.) with a 65-0 win on the road. In the game, the top team in the nation recorded 682 yards of total offense while the defense allowed the Broncos just 98 yards.
- By the numbers, Morningside has the top passing offense in the nation in 2018. So far, the team has 1,959 yards in five games.
- Southeastern (Fla.) rejoins the poll at No. 24 after posting a win over then-No. 22 Webber International (Fla.) on the road. Saint Ambrose (Iowa) also joins the Top 25 with a 4-1 record, the only loss at Saint Francis (Ind.) on Sept. 15.
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1-rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Marian (22) and Morningside (21) and Saint Francis (Ind.) 20.
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 143-straight Top 25 mentions.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
Don’t miss a minute of any NAIA Championship this season. Buy your All-Championship Pass today.
2018 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll Four (Oct. 1)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||2||Morningside (Iowa) ||5-0||364|
|2||3||Southern Oregon ||4-0||352|
|3||6||Marian (Ind.) ||4-0||336|
|5||1||Saint Francis (Ind.)||4-1||311|
|7||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||3-1||284|
|9||10||Grand View (Iowa)||3-1||249|
|16||18||Dickinson State (N.D.)||4-1||145|
|21||23||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||3-2||70|
|23||25||Siena Heights (Mich.)||4-0||47|
|25||NR||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||4-1||24|
Dropped from the Top 25: Faulkner (Ala.), Webber International (Fla.)
Others Receiving Votes: Midland (Neb.) 21, Webber International (Fla.) 15, Avila (Mo.) 9, Eastern Oregon 8, Ottawa (Kan.) 7, Doane (Neb.) 4, Saint Xavier (Ill.) 3