2018 NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll — Poll Seven (Oct. 22)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Morningside (Iowa) remained in the top spot with a 42-34 over Great Plains Athletics Conference (GPAC) foe and then-No. 3 Northwestern (Iowa) in the latest edition of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. Cumberland (Tenn.) made waves after its upset of then-No. 4 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) while Evangel was handed its first loss in Heart of America Athletic Conference play with a 33-26 loss to unranked MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.). All in all, a big week as the season draws closer to completion.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- No. 1 Morningside battled one of the top teams in the NAIA and snagged a 42-34 win over then-No. 3 Northwestern. The Mustangs garnered 15 of 16 first place votes with a perfect 8-0 record.
- Marian (Ind.) made a statement against Concordia (Mich.) over the weekend with a 48-17 victory at home. The Knights are now 7-0 and will face No. 21 Siena Heights (Mich.) on the road on Saturday, Oct. 27.
- Keiser (Fla.) is the lone newcomer to the poll this week. The first-year program is in the midst of a four-game win streak after its 27-17 win over Warner (Fla.).
- Bethel (Tenn.) jumped from eight to five this week after securing its eighth win of the season. The Wildcats are undefeated in 2018 and boast an early season win over Reinhardt (Ga.), among others. They will face No. 10 Lindsey Wilson on the road on Saturday, Oct. 27.
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1-rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (Iowa) (24) and Marian (Ind.) (22).
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 145-straight Top 25 mentions.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
Don’t miss a minute of any NAIA Championship this season. Buy your All-Championship Pass today.
2018 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll Seven (Oct. 22)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Morningside (Iowa) ||8-0||366|
|2||2||Marian (Ind.) ||7-0||352|
|4||7||Grand View (Iowa)||6-1||314|
|9||12||Saint Francis (Ind.)||6-2||238|
|10||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||5-2||233|
|13||15||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||6-2||197|
|19||20||Dickinson State (N.D.)||6-2||112|
|21||23||Siena Heights (Mich.)||6-1||79|
|22||24||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||6-3||67|
Dropped from the Top 25: Ottawa (Kan.)
Others Receiving Votes: Midland (Neb.) 16, Ottawa (Kan.) 7