2019 NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll - Poll One (Sept. 16)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Mustangs of Morningside College claim the No. 1 spot in the 2019 Coaches’ Top 25 for a second week in a row. The Mustangs are now 2-0 after having outscored their opponents 136-14 over the course of the last two games.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- The Mustangs start the 2019 season 2-0 with their most recent victory over then-No.24 Dordt (Iowa) 56-14.
- Morningside received all 17 first place votes
- The Benedictine (Kan.) Ravens claimed the No. 2 spot, prior to the 2018 post-season poll.
- Siena Heights (Mich.), Ottawa (Ariz.) and Cumberland (Tenn.) joined the poll as newcomers on Monday
- No. 9 Grand View (Iowa) and No. 10 Northwestern (Iowa) both broke into the top 10 for the first time in 2019 this week
- The biggest jump belonged to Montana Western who moved five spots up from No. 25 to No. 20
- No. 11 College of Idaho and No. 14 Evangel (Mo.) also made positive movement, both teams climbed the ladder four spots
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1-rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55) Morningside (30), Georgetown (Ky.) (25) and Marian (22).
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 151-straight Top 25 mentions.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2019 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll 1 (September 16)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes]||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Morningside (Iowa) ||2-0||392|
|3||3||Saint Francis (Ind.)||1-0||362|
|5||5||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||1-0||327|
|9||12||Grand View (Iowa)||3-0||270|
|11||15||College of Idaho||3-0||232|
|12||13||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||3-0||231|
|16||9||Dickinson State (N.D.)||1-1||151|
|22||NR||Siena Heights (Mich.)||2-0||66|
|23||NR||Ottawa (Ariz.) (AZ)||2-0||54|
|24||23||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||2-1||44|
Dropped Out: Dordt (Iowa) and Georgetown (Ky.)
Others Receiving Votes: Keiser (Fla.) 12, Montana Tech 10, Sterling (Kan.) 9, Midland (Neb.) 4, Hastings (Neb.) 3, Kentucky Christian 3