2017 Men?s Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week ? No. 1 (Jan. 18)
By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Colin De Young of Cornerstone (Mich.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of The Week and Seth Sabata of Midland (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of The Week, the national office announced Wednesday. De Young and Sabata were selected based on their performances from Jan. 9 – 15. The second Men’s Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced on Jan. 25.
Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Colin De Young, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Fr., St. John, Ind.
• Finished fifth out of 36 athletes in the 3K at the GVSU Bob Eubanks Open on Jan. 13. This meet included NCAA Division II and Division III schools.
• He ran a 8.32.98, which is the fastest 3K in the NAIA this season.
• Broke the Cornerstone freshman record held by Derek Scott, who eventually became an NAIA National Champion and three-time Team USA Athlete.
• This is his first career National Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week award.
Men’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Seth Sabata, Midland (Neb.)
So., Columbus, Neb.
• Placed first out of 35 athletes in the shot put at the Scott Nisely Memorial Classic
• Sabata broke his personal record and the Midland school record by throwing an “A” standard 16.81 mark in the shot put, which currently leads the NAIA.
• Sabata moved into second place all-time in the Midland’s weight throw top-10 by throwing a 17.5 mark. His toss in the weight throw is a national qualifying mark.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Cam Knudsen, St. Francis (Ill.); Alex Moses, Bethel (Ind.); Tomislav Smith, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); CJ Muller, Concordia (Neb.); Alex Janssen, Morningside (Iowa); Jeremiah Panec, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Sam Wensink, Dordt (Iowa); Tim Rose, Northwestern (Iowa); John Danner, Benedictine (Kan.); Chris Leiba, William Penn (Iowa); Clay Cory, Grand View (Iowa); Sam Beal, Cumberlands (Ky.); Isaiah Tivis, Valley City State (N.D.); Matt Young, Jamestown (N.D.); Jose Chorro, Dickinson State (N.D.); Brent Rodden, Siena Heights (Mich.); Trevor Stanley, Indiana Tech; Tony Floyd, Madonna (Mich.); Juan Echevarria, Lourdes (Ohio); Nate Heierman, Concordia (Mich.)
Field Nominees: Juston Lindsley, College of Idaho; Matthew Kirkendall, Eastern Oregon; Kyle Mitchell, St. Francis (Ill.); Erik Escobedo, Bethel (Ind.); Owen Lanning, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Brady Keaton, Carroll (Mont.); Zach Lurz, Concordia (Neb.); Alex Wellington, Hastings (Neb.); Tristen Elmore, William Penn (Iowa); Chance Tatman, Grand View (Iowa); Aaron Parent, Cumberlands (Ky.); Jay Liggins, Dickinson State (N.D.); Alex Huff, Jamestown (N.D.); Evan Pugh, Lourdes (Ohio); Alain Dixon, Indiana Tech; Jacob Compagner, Siena Heights (Mich.); Will Jones, Davenport (Mich.)
2016-17 Men's Indoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (January 18): Seth Sabata, Midland (Neb.) , Colin De Young, Cornerstone (Mich.)