2015 NAIA Softball Players of the Week ? No. 7 (May 5)
By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Claudia Farrell (pictured top left) of Grand View (Iowa) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Taylor Triplett of USC Beaufort (S.C.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Farrell and Triplett were selected based on their performances from April 27 – May 3, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners. This is the seventh and final NAIA National Softball weekly award.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa)
5-3, Fr., P, Des Moines, Iowa
• In 31.0 innings in the circle, Farrell captured four victories. She allowed just four earned runs and posted 57 strikeouts.
• Led her squad to winning the Midwest Collegiate Conference tournament championship.
• Set the 2015 NAIA season-high with 22 strikeouts in 10-inning win (3-2) against St. Ambrose (Iowa) on May 1. She gave up just five hits.
• In all four appearances, tallied at least 10 strikeouts in each outing.
• In final regular-season contest, tossed a seven-inning shutout in 5-0 win over Mount Mercy (Iowa) on April 27. She allowed just three hits and struck out 11 batters.
• In NAIA statistics, ranks No. 3 in batters struck out per nine innings (10.98), No. 4 in ERA (1.18) and No. 5 in opponent batting average (0.156).
• Finished the regular season with a 21-3 record with 261 total strikeouts.
Softball Player of the Week
Taylor Triplett, USC Beaufort (S.C.)
5-9, Sr., DP, Murrieta, Calif.
• In seven contests, Triplett batted .480 (12-of-25) with three home runs, 15 RBIs and scored twice.
• Named to The Sun Conference All-Tournament Team after leading the Sand Sharks to the league championship.
• Recorded four games of two-or-more hits, including a three-hit effort against Ave Maria on May 2.
• In the conference tournament championship, went 2-for-5 with six RBI, two runs scored and a home run.
• Knocked a grand slam during the week, which was her 200th career hit.
• On the year, bats .382 with four home runs, 35 RBIs and 25 runs scored.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Britanee Willard, Park (Mo.); McKenzie Shrum, Oregon Tech; Jessica Arebalo, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan; Ryann Ferguson, Concordia (Calif.); Michaela Woodward, Concordia (Neb.); Abby King, Avila (Mo.); Chelsea Showers, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Ashley Gigax, Bellevue (Neb.); Devin Brown, Grand View (Iowa); Rebecca Lopez, Dickinson State (N.D.); Kayla Adams, Science & Arts (Okla.); Josie Porter, Belhaven (Miss.); Jessie Thueme, Michigan-Dearborn.
Pitcher Nominees: Paxton Welch, Columbia (Mo.); Jessica Holsinger, Corban (Ore.); Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Haley Nixon, Indiana Wesleyan; Brittani McGue, Concordia (Calif.); Michaela Woodward, Concordia (Neb.); Tori Aziere, Avila (Mo.); Jordan Hood, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Taylor Mohler, Bellevue (Neb.); Regan Lawrence, Dickinson State (N.D.); Summer Leitka, Science & Arts (Okla.); Sydney O'connor, Mobile (Ala.); Brooke Gallaher, Lourdes (Ohio).
2015 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Hannah Moak, William Carey (Miss.); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 2 (March 31): Reba Depriest, Biola (Calif.); Shelby Engle, Georgetown (Ky.)
Week 3 (April 7): Ashlie Layman, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Abbey Wilmes, Grand View (Iowa)
Week 4 (April 14): Cassie Jones, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Erica Miller, Marian (Ind.)
Week 5 (April 21): Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Tara Moates, Oregon Tech
Week 6 (April 28): Summer Leitka, Science & Arts (Okla.); Kayla Ritzdorf, Midland (Neb.)
Week 7 (May 5): Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa); Taylor Triplett, USC Beaufort (S.C.)