2018 NAIA Softball Players of the Week ? Final (May 1)
By Chad Waller, Director of Athletic Communications and Media
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sara Bruno of Warner (Fla.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week and Claudia Farrell of Grand View (Iowa) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Bruno and Farrell were selected based on their performances from April 23 – 29, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Player of the Week
Sara Bruno, Warner (Fla.)
So., C, Auburndale, Fla.
- Bruno recorded the game-winning walk-off hit in the 4-3 victory against Webber International (Fla.) on April 26. She finished 3-for-4 with 2 RBI in the game.
- Weekly Stats
- Maintained average of .636 (7-for-11) in four contests last week.
- Posted 10 RBI, three runs scored and three home runs.
- Her highlight occurred in game 2 against Webber International when she swatted two homers and compiled five RBI in the 5-0 win.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa)
Sr., P, Des Moines, Iowa
- With her 13 strikeouts in the game one win against Missouri Valley on April 29, Farrell earned her 100th career win as a Viking and also 1,000 collegiate strikeouts.
- Weekly Stats
- Gave up one earned run (four unearned) in 38 innings pitched, which spanned seven pitching appearances.
- She totaled 44 strikeouts, including three 10-strikeout games.
- Credited with a 5-0 record in the circle, with two no decisions.
Player Nominees: Riley Shaw, Lyon (Ark.); Reba Jones, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Amanda Coley, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Kayla Garcia, St. Francis (Ill.); Davis Carter, Taylor (Ind.); Rachel Evavold, Dordt (Iowa); Alex Burris, Benedictine (Kan.); Niki Cook, Georgia Gwinnett; Sydney Brown, British Columbia; Kaila Trowbridge, Saint Mary (Kan.); Alaeni Ray, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Emma Keller, Jamestown (N.D.); Adrianna Silva, Southwest (N.M.); Lily Pruneda, Point Park (Pa.); Bailey Terry, Texas Wesleyan; Ashley Sprayberry, Mobile (Ala.); Sarah Holton, Madonna (Mich.).
Pitcher Nominees: Cortnye Pool, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Karley Hobbs, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Erika Romero, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Kelly Scott, Oregon Tech; Jensen Tchorzynski, St. Francis (Ill.); Mckenzey Ridge, Indiana Wesleyan; Josie Schnakenberg, Doane (Neb.); Piper Wagner, Georgia Gwinnett; Rebekah Clinton, Ottawa (Kan.); Tatum Wise, Shawnee State (Ohio); Kat Miska, Jamestown (N.D.); Kelsey Tidrick, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Katie Tarr, Point Park (Pa.); Jordan Detherage, Science & Arts (Okla.); Karley Sanders, Mobile (Ala.); Lauren West, Thomas (Ga.); Racquel Ward, Siena Heights (Mich.).
2018 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Emily Smith, Valley City State (N.D.); Caitlin McNiff, Missouri Baptist
Week 2 (March 28): Morghan Dieringer, St. Francis (Ill.); Chloe Clifton, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 3 (April 3): Anessa Cepeda, Hope International (Calif.); Cassie Kuizin, Taylor (Ind.)
Week 4 (April 10): Makenna Aycock, Texas Wesleyan; Bailey Terry, Texas Wesleyan
Week 5 (April 17): Georgia Wall, Oklahoma City; Kristen Exposito, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 6 (April 24): Breena Smith, Marian (Ind.); Allison Seats, Central Baptist (Ark.)
Week 7 (May 1): Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa); Sara Bruno, Warner (Fla.)